Her + Neil Gaiman + Sam & Ruby



Her was beautiful, in every way imaginable. 

You know how sometimes people tell you a movie is RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME and your expectations break through the roof and you watch it and you think well, yeah, it was aiiiight but it wasn't amazing or anything? *ahem* Silver Linings Playbook *cough*

No. Not Her

Her made forget the world for two hours (which I suppose is what the movie experience is supposed to do, except that it almost never happens to me). Her made me want to live in that fictitious city - summoning words out of thin air instead of having to write every punctuation mark. Her made me want to wear my pants a little too high and sleep in a bed of snow.

Her made me wish I could live in a sunset. I know that defies physics and logic but if a man can have a romantic relationship with an operating system, I can live in a sunset. I think I might need to change the name of my blog.


And the script! Oh, the script.

The script made me feel like a terrible writer and dream of becoming a writer all at the same time! I know that barely makes sense considering I now actually get paid to write (not this blog, of course. I don't think anyone would pay me for the sort of rubbish I put here) but the script tugged at my heartstrings like no script has done before.

Behold:

"Sometimes I write something and I'm my favourite writer that day."

"The past is just a story we tell ourselves."

"The heart is not like a box you can fill up - it expands in size the more you love."

"Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel, and from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new - just lesser versions of what I've already felt."

"It's like I'm reading a book, and it's a book I deeply love. But I'm reading it slowly now, so the words are really far apart and the spaces between the words are almost infinite."

There are many more, of course, but I'm going to let you watch the movie for yourself. Unless you've already seen it - in which case, I'm going to imagine you saying "I KNOW RIGHT??!" to me right now.

Of course not everything moves us in the same way. Perhaps reading those quotes will never be nearly as powerful as watching them being said on screen. Maybe those quotes resonate with me because I can relate to them and you can't. You don't actually need to agree with me.

On that note, I was meaning to write this super long-winded post on what Valentines means to me (spoiler: nothing, yet so much at the same time because I'm too introspective for my own good) but I figured that would be too clichéd and because I fear my opinions might be misconstrued and found offensive - not because I'm worried about receiving hate mail or anything, but because I'm too tired to deal with the drama (which was what I would have said about relationships, had I actually written the post).

So instead of making Valentines plans or splurging on comfort food, I bought a David Mack print of a Neil Gaiman poem!




It made me a tiny bit sad on the inside, considering I only ever
started reading Neil Gaiman because he asked me to.

Ah, but c'est la vie.

Someday I will find someone that I love who loves me enough to say

"you're the book I love the best"

and I will read him slowly so the words are really far apart
and the spaces between the words are almost infinite. 




JDx

2 comments:

Chuen said...

I still don't have the time to watch Her yet! Probably catch it next week or so :)

Jay Dee said...

OMG YOU SHOUUUUULD!

It's so so so good :D