Pages

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty & The Alchemist.

"Beautiful things don't ask for attention."

After days of nagging (and bouts of begging), I managed to persuade a friend to watch The Secret Life of Walter Mitty with me. First of all, the movie promotional posters were great:



and secondly, everyone was saying good things about it!

So why not, right? I hadn't seen a movie in months, and after being harassed and laughed at by the staff at MBO Subang Parade (it's a long story, but the gist of it is that I went to watch Monsters University, at 1:30 p.m. on a weekday in broad freaking daylight and some staff member decided it would be appropriate to try and spook me from behind and ask a million and one questions DURING the movie and then some other staff member laughed at me TO MY FACE when I asked to see the manager to make a complaint), I wasn't going to risk watching a movie alone again.

Now the thing about TSLOWM is that there isn't one great climax where so many things all happen at once. It's not one of those movies where the hero saves the planet and wins the girl of his dreams. The whole vibe of the movie is...steady - but in a good way.

And somehow old Ben Stiller is way hotter than young Ben Stiller was.



A few people on my social media timelines said they cried while watching the movie and I honestly didn't think the movie was all that moving. That, or perhaps everyone's rave reviews got my expectations up too high.

But as someone who perpetually suffers an existential crisis, I suppose I can see where they're coming from.

I reckon it's this whole thing about not actually achieving what we should (although, apparently most young people already feel that way) and that we probably don't perceive ourselves to be the way we truly are.

That said, TSLOWM also reminded me a lot of Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist! Where the lesson is (SPOILER ALERT!) that often what we seek was where we were to begin with - we just needed to go on a journey to figure that out.


I'm not really going to go on and on about what I think about The Alchemist because I read it years ago and this stupid blog post is beginning to bore me (yet I'm the one still writing it).

Just remember:

"When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.” 

and

"It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.” 

but

"There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.” 

Also,

“If you start by promising what you don't even have yet, you'll lose your desire to work towards getting it.” 

Thank you, Paulo Coelho. Please know that I love you and don't ever think of you as a creepy old man, even when you hang out with Dita.


JDx

No comments: