Pages

Nick Hornby - High Fidelity



People worry about kids playing with guns, and teenagers watching violent videos;
we are scared that some sort of culture of violence will take them over.
Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands - literally
thousands - of songs about broken hearts and rejection
and pain and misery and loss.
Nick Hornby


I don't care if High Fidelity was published in 1995 and I don't think it matters that I only read it in 2008 (in that cover you see up there) - that line struck a chord in me then and I still believe it to be true today.

Reading articles on depression in Malaysia made me depressed. Apparently, in 2006 (don't they have updated rates?), 11 in every 100 Malaysians were depressed. That's 11% (why couldn't they have just said that instead of saying 11 out of 100?) of the population. That just means, if you think of ten friends, 1.1 of them is depressed!!!! Does that mean, each one of your friends is 0.11% sad on the inside??! (That was a bad joke - just in case you couldn't tell).

But that's not really the point I'm trying to make here. 

I think High Fidelity is brilliant. I could be biased because I think Nick Hornby could do no wrong, but High Fidelity! It even had a movie with John Cusack in it!

I could go on and on about the book and the movie but chances are, you've probably already read/seen it and if you haven't, you can read/watch it yourself. 

So this is a little diary-ish entry about how I once had a friend who said that all John Cusack movies are awesome, "because John Cusack is awesome! John Cusack is bad ass!" so I told him that Martian Child was sappy and sentimental and it involved a small child - far from being 'bad ass', in my opinion. He said he'd never heard of it and went on with his preachy 'John Cusack is awesome' rant.


Then there was this other time where I professed my love of all things Nick Hornby and he said "I've never read any Nick Hornby, but I hate it". Yes, I once had a friend who said he hated Nick Hornby despite having never read any of his books. I'm obviously not very good at choosing the company I keep.

So Mr John-Cusack-is-awesome continues to tell me about how Nick Hornby stories are depressing and someone always dies and I tell him that he is wrong wrong wrong. But my friend doesn't listen to me, and we end up talking about something else.

I hope you see where this is going. Spoiler alert: this is the part where I win.

It suddenly hit me! John Cusack starred in High Fidelity! Which is a Nick Hornby book! So if all John Cusack films are awesome, and High Fidelity is a John Cusack movie, then Nick Hornby is awesome by default! It is officially irrefutable!

Of course my friend tried to cheat by talking about how Lauren's father dies and they end up having sex in her car (was that where I was supposed to put an actual spoiler alert?) but it obviously didn't work.

I started to gloat and he put on this grin that children make after they get caught red-handed for doing something they know they aren't supposed to do but are proud of anyway.

That was a couple of years ago. We aren't actually friends anymore.

As I am writing this, I realise that he used to (and most likely still does) talk the way Nick Hornby writes. Or perhaps he talks the way John Cusack does in High Fidelity when he looks to the camera and presents his monologue? Either way, it's ironic.

I think I might need a moment to think about this for a bit.

JDx

No comments: